Tips From The Pit!
Posted: 22nd April, 2021
Our Pitmaster’s bring you their top tips for nailing the perfect BBQ!
So the sun is (hopefully) shining, you have your Hickory’s At Home BBQ Box ready to rock – all you need now is make sure your BBQ is good to go and get grilling….
1. Charcoal choice is super important. Lump charcoal is fast lighting with a burn time of around an hour so perfect for our BBQ Box selection. Your charcoal can also add extra flavour. For a true Southern BBQ experience, we like to soak Hickory wood chips in water and then sprinkle them on the hot coals when we are ready to cook.
2. A long handled pair of tongs are a God send when flipping and serving so its worth investing in a decent pair. They also keep you away from the heat so help avoid any nasty burns. A temperature probe is also a good idea when cooking outdoors so you can ensure your meat is full cooked through.
3. Take your meat out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before you want to cook it. This will give the meat time to come up to room temperature so it cooks evenly once you put it on the coals. Super-cold meat could have a tendency to burn faster on the outside & it’s important you make sure your meat is cooked through to the middle.
4. Once your cuts are cooked through, give them a breather! Allowing your meat to rest for a couple of minutes before eating will ensure it absorbs all its natural juices and is super-tender. If you have a top rack on your BBQ it’s a good idea to rest it there on a foil tray or similar.
5. Without guaranteed Texas style temperatures, its always good the have a backup plan, so make sure you have pots, pans and trays at the ready in case you need to move your cooking indoors.